Labels

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sweet Curry Chicken

I tried my hand tonight at making my favorite dish ever: Curry Chicken.

So I hunted down a couple of recipes and mixed and matched what I like and removed everything I don't like. This wasn't too hard to do - as the only thing I needed to remove was Cayenne Pepper. I am not a spice nut so this was easily removed. That being said, my DH doesn't like curry. At All. So I took this same recipe and instead of the 1½ tsp of curry, I changed it to ½ tsp cayenne pepper and made it into Sweet and Spicy Chicken. (I tried to get a picture, but my flash was too bright and bled out all color.)

I made my own recipe and proceeded to make Sweet Curry Chicken. It didn't turn out too bad, but it was still missing something. I have no idea what, but I have asked my dad to let me know what he thinks it might need.

At any rate, here is the picture and my recipe:


Sweet Curry Chicken

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken, think sliced and cooked
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 8 oz can fruit cocktail (separated from juice, saving juice for later use)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup diagonally sliced celery
1 tbsp margarine or butter
1 ½ tsp Curry powder
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp corn starch
2-3 cups cooked rice

Thinly slice and cook chicken as you desire. Cook rice.

Drain fruit cocktail, reserving juice. In a medium saucepan cook onion and celery in hot butter until tender. Stir in curry powder. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir together the reserved fruit cocktail juice, water and cornstarch. Stir into saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Add fruit cocktail. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add cooked chicken to the sauce. Cook and stir for 5-10 minutes to ensure chicken is heated through. Serve over rice.

This should be approx 6 servings, however in my household it was barely 3 servings.

If you make it and figure out what the recipe is missing, please let me know! I am willing to try almost anything in order to get the 'pow' part of the curry flavoring right. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment