Labels

Thursday, March 29, 2012

How to Boil an Egg

Seriously. I found this on Pinterest and I thought, what kind of idiot doesn't know how to boil an egg? Apparently, I am an idiot!

I have always put the eggs in the pot, covered them with water, put them on the stove on high and once they started boiling, I would let them go for 10 minutes! Of course, my yolk would never come out all yellow and nice looking. It always had the grey tinge to them, and so I figured if I added vinegar to the water, that would work. Nope. Same results.

So I read through THIS post by Ashley and figured I would give it a try!

Here are her directions completely:

1) Grab your eggs (I’m using large eggs), and a pot. Pretty easy start, right?

2) Put the eggs in the pot and cover them with water, only about an inch overhead.

3) Put them on the stove and turn it on medium high heat.

Now this is where you NEED to pay attention.

4) As SOON as that water starts to boil (and I mean boil, not just a few bubble here and there), turn the stove off.

5) Set the timer for 10 minutes.

6) When the timer goes off, remove the eggs from the pot and put them in cold water. (Sometimes I put them in an ice bath, but I haven’t found that it really matters either way)

7) Let them sit for about 5 minutes and then dig in.

And here is her picture:

My eggs came out looking exactly like hers on the left side!!! I only had one egg that didn't want to peel properly, but hey! At least I didn't have grey yolks!

And for those who want to know why your yolks go grey: "That gray ring around the yolk is actually the iron in the egg yolk reacting with the hydrogen sulfide from the white… and only happens when you over cook it."

So there you have it!
Give it a try if you don't believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment