Labels

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Melatonin is Evil!

Last night I took melatonin in order to go to sleep early and wkae up early. Dad and Rhonda are coming in today, so I wanted to be sure I was on top of everything. For those who don't know, melatonin is produced in your body through your central nervous system. It regulates the sleep/wake cycle. So by taking the herbal form of melatonin, you are giving your system a natural sleep aid - and you do not wake up feeling groggy and sluggish.

Anyway, I took one melatonin last night. No big deal right? Ugh. WRONG!

I went to bed around 10:30 and was just about asleep, then all of a sudden I was wide awake. I laid there for probably another half hour, if not longer, then finally had to lull myself by rubbing the tops of my feet along the bottom of the mattress...

Good enough.

Not quite.

I swear I was awake every hour on the hour! And it wasn't from dreams. See, melatonin has the ability to make your dreams very vivid. Bright colors and extreme circumstances. I did dream, but they were average dreams, nothing too exciting. But it seemed that with the end of each dream, I awoke. I can't even tell you what the dreams were, I know my husband was in one, my sister-in-law was in another, but there wasn't a single significant thing about any of them. So why wake every hour?

Who knows? I have taken melatonin before and never had this happen, so perhaps it was my anxiety of family coming that had me awake every hour. Perhaps because I wasn't really tired and was forcing myself to sleep was an issue. I really don't know. But I can tell you that I feel great today. I only wish I could remember my dreams... LOL

More on melatonin:
Melatonin on wikipedia

1 comment: