Labels

Friday, October 17, 2008

Twilight

I blame my son.
For months he has been trying to get me to read Stephenie Meyers' The Host or her Twilight Series. I didn't really feel like I wanted to, having my fill of Vampires and such from Anne Rice. Not to mention that I figured they were totally for teens, what with their angst and emo-isms. I practically refused the books anytime he would place them in front of me, rolling my eyes and shoving them back in his direction. I wasn't going to be pulled in like I was with the Harry Potter series. (I read HP in order to have something in common with my son, little did I know that it would suck me in.)
At any rate, Mike would always update me when there was a new trailer for any movie available, and we sat down at the computer this past Saturday to see one he had heard about. I looked up Twilight and found that there was a new one for it as well. My son watched as my jaw dropped open wide, at which part I have no idea, and suddenly I wanted the books. I figured it looked like a pretty deep romance, so why not.
He brought Twilight to me and I set about reading it. I had no idea that once I hit chapter 5.... I was hooked. I can't tell you what hooked me, because I don't know. I do know that the raw emotion in this series is one that I have never encountered in any other book I have read. I became so deeply emersed that I read the first three books (Twilight, New Moon & Eclipse) in three days. I laughed, I cried, I got mad, heck there were times that I wanted to throw the book, but my fingers feared the departure from it. I was up for three nights until almost 4 or 4:30 in the morning. I was going crazy, wanting to know everything there possibly was to know about this series, trying to read between the lines as if there were more that I was missing.
On to my point I suppose. This series pulls your emotions to the limit. You feel and yearn for what the main character, "Bella", wants and goes through. You feel the brooding nature of Edward, the Vampire who does not harm humans, but falls helplessly in love with Bella from the moment he wanted to kill her. I think I am so drawn into it, because of the emotion. I can't explain it any other way. I could really care less about the superstition parts of it, the story would leave me breathless no matter the circumstances.
I took two days to savor the 4th book, Breaking Dawn, I think because I knew it was drawing to an end that I wasn't looking for, and I wanted it to go on forever. Excitedly, I found through my son that the first 12 chapters to the 5th book, Midnight Sun, were available online on www.stepheniemeyer.com still. (That is all that has been written so far, long story short, one of Stephanie's friends whom she gave a copy to posted it without her permission and now the book is delayed indefinitely, until she feels like going back to it again.... if ever.) I also spent most of today looking deeper on the internet for more information, more movie clips, anything to satiate my thirst for this series. No pun intended.
No, I am not an all-out freak. My son says I have found a new drug. I'll take that. Thank goodness my drug is written words that drive my imagination..... now if I could only quit smoking!! HAHA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment